- Almost five hours of battery
- Good performance for the price
- Decent build quality
- Glossy plastic everywhere
- Low screen resolution
- Weak screen lid
- Poor speakers
The HP Pavilion g6 is recommendable to budget-conscious users. However, shoppers looking for a better multimedia experience should consider HP’s higher end Pavilion dv6.
Are you looking for an inexpensive sub-$500 notebook for basic home and office use?
We took an in-depth look at this budget laptop to see if you can save money and still buy an impressive new PC
Build and Design
The HP Pavilion g6 ($499) has a generic-looking exterior of black and gray. Nearly all visible surfaces of the notebook are made of glossy plastic, which is unfortunate since it smudges up easily and is not as durable as matte plastic over time. Strangely enough the screen bezel is matte plastic.The g6 is rather sturdy for a budget notebook. The chassis is stiff and takes effort to twist. Additionally, the palm rest and surrounding areas don’t flex or bend when pushed down upon. The display panel (and more specifically the screen lid) is the only part that needs improvement; it is flimsy and twists easily; ripples also show up on the screen when pushed in on from behind. I was impressed however by the display hinges, which are metal and very securely anchored to the chassis. The display hardly wobbles at all.
Ports and Features
There is an average selection of ports with nothing special or unexpected. The g6 lacks USB 3.0, eSATA, DisplayPort, and an ExpressCard slot. We would have liked to see USB 3.0 for quicker transfers of large files like high-res photos and HD movies, but you can only expect so much from a budget laptop. All picture descriptions shown below are listed from left to right.
- 15.6-inch glossy 720p display (1366×768 resolution)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Intel Core i3-380M dual-core processor (2.53GHz, 3MB cache, 35W TDP)
- Intel HM55 chipset
- Integrated Intel HD graphics
- 4GB DDR3-1066 RAM (2x 2GB; supports up to 8GB – 2x 4GB)
- 500GB 7200RPM Seagate hard drive (ST9500325AS)
- 802.11n wireless network adapter (Atheros AR9285)
- No internal Bluetooth
- Integrated webcam
- Built-in tray-load DVD burner (hp DVDRAM GT31L)
- One-year limited warranty
- 6-cell Li-ion battery (10.8V, 4200mAh)
- Weight: 5.5 lbs.
- Dimensions: 14.72 x 9.65 x 1.20~1.42 inches